This Fagiolini Rifatti, or "twice-cooked beans" is nothing at all like Tex-Mex refried beans! Italian uses the same word, fagioli, to mean both green beans and dried beans.
This is an easy dish that bursts with the contrasting flavors and colors of the green beans and the red tomatoes.
- In a pot, boil the beans until just tender.
- In a large skillet, cook the garlic until browned, then remove it. Add the tomatoes and stir while the liquid boils away.
- Shred the basil leaves and add them to the tomatoes.
- Drain the beans and add them to the tomatoes.
- Stir everything together, add salt and pepper as needed, and let it cook a few minutes longer.
- Serve hot.