This is my version of the classic Greek spinach pie. I make this for many, many events, especially those at which vegetarians may be present. It's a great crowd-pleaser, it's good hot or at room-temperature, and it can be a finger-food.
I always include plenty of Dodonis Feta cheese from [[nodetitle:Bahnan's Market]] in Worcester.
- Thaw the fillo according to package directions.
- Make the filling: In a large, heavy pot, saute onion in butter until quite golden.
- Add the spinach and herbs, and cook a bit.
- Add chopped feta and mix well. It does not have to melt.
- Let cool a little, then add beaten eggs.
--- This filling can be stored until later ----
- Prepare the pie: Preheat oven to 375. Melt the stick of butter.
- Lay out 4 fillo sheets one at a time, brushing each with butter.
- Add the filling. Do not spread - instead, set it out as if making drop cookies, spoonfuls evenly spaced until it's all used up. Then pat it out to make it even.
- Sprinkle with Lemon Juice, and salt and pepper as needed (remember the feta is salty).
- Lay out 4 more fillo sheets, brushing with remaining butter.
- Very important: Trim the edges and cut the pie BEFORE baking! Cut it into sizes preferred by your diners, larger for dinner, smaller for appetizer.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown and you can smell it in the kitchen.
- Let cool in the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.