This is an easy and tasty dish to accompany all sorts of winter recipes, especially heavy roasted meats, pies, and stews.
It can cook away on the back burner while your attention is occupied by more demanding projects, and the carrots do not suffer from a little overcooking because the flavor is concentrated in the diminishing stock and the glaze and seasoning emphasize the flavor.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the carrots and sugar and stir to coat.
- Add the hot stock and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, turn up the heat, and continue to cook until the stock-sugar mixture is reduced to a syrupy glaze.
- Serve hot, garnished with minced parsley (optional).