This strange-sounding summer-time salad came to my attention when I was planning a feast to celebrate the Kentucky Derby; something similar is made at a ritzy hotel at Churchill Downs.
This is a simpler version and in my opinion better able to showcase excellent ingredients.
- Prepare the tomatoes according to the Additional notes below.
- Combine the tomatoes, watermelon, and onion.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Mix the dressing into the salad and season to taste with salt.
- Transfer to an attractive serving dish (or individual dishes). Garnish with fresh basil and chill.