You can make quite a pretty salad if you have access to good mushrooms, which is getting easier in New England now that several farms have started in Maine. This one includes Chestnut Mushrooms, Lion's Mane, Blue Oyster, and Button Mushrooms, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice with sea salt, fresh basil, and parsley.
16 oz Mixed Fresh Mushrooms
2 T Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 T Fresh-Squeezed Lemon Juice ((half a lemon))
1 pn Coarse Sea Salt
2 Basil sprig
1 Parsley sprig
- Break up or slice the mushrooms into bite-size pieces in whatever way suits your artistic fancy, and put them in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whip together the extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
- Pour the dressing over the mushrooms and stir them to coat lightly. Then lift them from the bowl one by one and assemble your insalata on a plate.
- Pour the remaining dressing from the bottom of the bowl over the mushrooms on the plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and place leaves of the fresh herbs around for a pleasing presentation.