- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cut the almond paste into thin slices and toss it with the sugar in a bowl until well coated.
- Mix by in a food processor until the mixture has a sandy texture.
- Add the egg whites, one at a time. After the second, add the last in parts. The mixture should be sticky, not too soft.
- Squeeze through a pastry bag onto parchment paper.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until light brown around the edges.
- Let cool on the parchment paper on a rack, then peel the parchment paper away from the finished macaroons. Be careful not to pull the insides away on the paper.
The parchment paper is essential. The bottoms will stick to even a well-greased pan and pull out the insides of the macaroons when you try to remove them.
It's important to mix the almond paste and the sugar completely before adding the egg whites, or it gets lumpy. In that case, whip it up in a food processor.