This omelette is best made in late summer at the height of tomato season. If you can't get fresh ripe in-season tomatoes, in my opinion you're better off using good quality canned tomatoes; at least they were ripe when they went into the can!
I especially like this with some nice flaky sea salt.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In an oven-safe omelette pan, heat the oil and cook the shallot and garlic until the garlic is golden.
- Drain the tomatoes and add them. Cook until the liquid has evaporated, then add the basil.
- Add the eggs and stir well. Cook until they set up well on the bottom.
- Put the pan in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.