- Cut the cheese into strips.
- Mix the potato flour into the kirsch.
- Rub the inside of the fondue pot with the peeled garlic clove.
- Heat the wine: as soon as it starts to bubble add the cut cheese, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon.
- Season with pepper, or maybe some nutmeg.
- When the cheese has all melted, add the potato flour and kirsch mixture, mixing all the time.
- Serve hot with bread cubes and skewers, and with pickles and ham or dried meats.
Put your piece of bread on the end of a long fork and dip it in, not forgetting to stir all the time. If you lose your bread in the fondue then traditionally you must buy a bottle of wine for the table!
The kirsch and cornstarch mixture helps to keep this rich mix from separating.