1 hour, 30 minutes
- Clean and trim the ramps. Slice the white and pink parts of the bases very thinly.
- Break up the dried chanterelles and then soak them in boiling water for at least 15 minutes.
- Steam the fiddleheads for just a few minutes, and then steam the ramp greens for a minute. Plunge both in cold water as soon as they are done.
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper (you can buy it pre-cut at cake-decorating supply shops).
- Mix the eggs and add the cream.
- Sautee the sliced ramps until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to the egg mixture.
- Drain the chanterelles and add them to the egg mixture. Stir in the crabmeat until everything is blended.
- Line the sides of the cake pan with the steamed fiddleheads. You can put the rest in the bottom of the pan (to become a decorative top) or save them to use as a garnish.
- Gently fill the pan. Set it in a larger pan of hot water and bake until set, about an hour. It is finished then a knife-blade comes out clean.
- Very gently slide a knife around the edge to loosen the flan. Remember the fiddleheads are in there!
- Invert a serving plate over the cake pan and turn the flan out onto the serving plate.
- Garnish with blanched ramps greens and remaining fiddlehead and serve warm or at room temperature.
This could also be prepared in a crust as a quiche, or prepared and served from the pan that it is baked in.