Germany does Christmas in a big way, and thousands of people travel there every December to shop at their famous Christmas markets. Gluhwein means "glow-wine". It is a version of a Mulled Wine that you might find warming you on a cold winter night after shopping at one!
1 1⁄2 c Water
1⁄2 c Light Brown Sugar
1 Orange, zest of
1 Orange, juice of
20 whole cloves
6 Cinnamon sticks (2-inch)
4 Star Anise
750 ml Dry Red Wine
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a simmer.
- Add the brown sugar and stir it in until it dissolves.
- Add the orange juice.
- Stick the cloves into the orange zest and add that along with the cinnamon sticks and the star anise.
- Add the wine and bring to a low simmer.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes before serving hot.
This recipe uses whole spices so they can be left in the pot and your diners do not get sludge in the bottoms of their glasses.
This can be made ahead of time and rewarmed as needed.